Sometimes all I need in the day is to get in the truck and head out on the highway. Take a step back from business, school, family commitments.
We are so blessed to live in a mountain community. These mountains that make up our home are so spectacular, so simple, so mesmerizing. They ask nothing of you, yet give to you in abundance. Soul healing, centering and non-judgemental.
It’s the little things that can make you realize that all those big things, really shouldn’t matter as much to you.
I’m trying to teach some of these ideals to my children, but I fear they get too caught up in this alter reality of technology. I think this can happen to us all.
Honestly, I have yet, in all my years, to find anything truly soul healing coming from technology.
Usually for me, my soul mending happens by being out in the woods, being active, reading books, reflecting and meditation.
I sure couldn’t live without technology though. I run an online business!
But there is something fantastic about having a day or a week away from the temptation of being ‘connected’ every waking moment.
The more time I spend on my phone or on the computer, the more I feel like it’s in a way stealing the hours of my days away.
Where is the balance?
I think the balance for everyone is different, for me, there are a few key things I look for as ‘red flags’ that I’ve spent too much time connected and not enough time in the real world are:
1. If I’m not sleeping well
2. If my little kids seem constantly ridiculous, aka looking for my attention
3. If I find myself trying to talk myself out of exercise
4. If my house is in a state of ‘out of control’
5. If it’s been more than a week or two since I made time for my personal bucket filling projects
6. If I’m spending all my free time thinking about work
7. If my kids start to complain about not enough snuggles, or not enough time with me
If I’m seeing any of these, I do my best to try and take a step back and re-engage with my personal relationships and deal with real life.
What are some of your red flag items?